By David Schmidtz,Jason Brennan
- Offers a succinct but thorough survey of private freedom
- Explores the real which means of liberty, drawing philosophical classes approximately liberty from history
- Considers the writings of key historic figures from Socrates and Erasmus to Hobbes, Locke, Marx, and Adam Smith
- Combines philosophical rigor with social clinical analysis
- Argues that liberty refers to a number comparable yet particular rules instead of restricting the idea that to at least one definition
Read or Download A Brief History of Liberty (Brief Histories of Philosophy) PDF
Similar political philosophy books
First released in 2013. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
This booklet bargains an in depth examining of Romans that treats Paul as a thorough political philosopher by way of exhibiting the connection among Paul's point of view and that of secular political theorists. Turning to either historical political philosophers (Plato, Aristotle, and Cicero) and modern post-Marxists (Agamben, Badiou, Derrida, and Žižek), Jennings provides Romans as a sustained argument for a brand new kind of political considering enthusiastic about the chance and structure of simply socialities.
A fantastic remedy of Machiavelli’s minor masterpiece! Flaumenhaft’s fantastically crafted, literal translation goals to catch the unique rationale of the playwright. Machiavelli himself exceptional rigorously among translations and revisions; hence, Flaumenhaft reveals a devoted translation necessary to conveying Machiavelli’s inspiration and to permitting direct entry to the paintings.
How can women’s rights be visible as a common price instead of a Western worth imposed upon the remainder of the area? Addressing this question, Eileen Hunt Botting bargains the 1st comparative examine of writings by way of Mary Wollstonecraft and John Stuart Mill. Although Wollstonecraft and Mill have been the first philosophical architects of the view that women’s rights are human rights, Botting indicates how non-Western thinkers have revised and internationalized their unique theories because the 19th century.
- To Fight Against This Age: On Fascism and Humanism
- The Responsibility of Reason: Theory and Practice in a Liberal-Democratic Age
- The Unvarnished Doctrine: Locke, Liberalism, and the American Revolution
- A Friendship That Lasted a Lifetime: The Correspondence Between Alfred Schutz and Eric Voegelin (The Eric Voegelin Institute Series in Political Philosophy)
Additional info for A Brief History of Liberty (Brief Histories of Philosophy)
A Brief History of Liberty (Brief Histories of Philosophy) by David Schmidtz,Jason Brennan